Holiday Fire Safety Tips
The holidays are a favorite time of year for many, but those fried turkeys and twinkling lights can come with an often overlooked danger: fire.
Turkey fryer fires cause thousands of fires each year sometimes resulting in injury and even death. Before you use your turkey fryer this Thanksgiving, read the safety tips below.
1. Choose the right spot. Set up the turkey fryer at least 10 feet away from your house and other structures. The fryer should be on a flat, level surface to ensure the oil is even and steady.
2. Prepare your turkey. Be sure your turkey is completely thawed and dry. Excess water can cause the oil to bubble and spill over onto the burner, igniting a fire.
3. Be vigilant and prepared. Keep children and pets away from the fryer, and never leave it unattended. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher nearby.
Christmas lights captivate children and adults alike, but those dazzling displays can be dangerous. Use the tips below to stay safe this holiday season.
1. Check your lights. Before stringing up lights, check them carefully for burned out bulbs, frayed ends, loose connections and cracked cords. Make sure you don’t use indoor lights outside.
2. Keep your tree watered. A dry tree and electrical shorts in lights can be a deadly combination. Keep it well watered to prevent fires and keep your tree fresh.
3. Throw out the old. Newer strands have fused plugs, which prevent sparks in case of a short circuit. Get rid of the lights that don’t have fuses.
4. Turn off the lights. Never leave lights on when you’re away from home or asleep.
The aftermath of a fire can be a complex scene. The materials burned, the method of fire suppression and the time elapsed after the fire combine to create situations that the team at Moore Restoration Inc. knows to recognize, assess and determine the correct procedure for efficient restoration. In the unfortunate event of a fire this holiday season, Moore Restoration is on-call for restoration needs. Call us at 866-484-3322.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Frozen pipes are one of the biggest risks for property damage when winter rolls around and one of the leading causes of water damage to homes. To help prevent frozen pipes, follow these three simple steps:
1. Detach exterior hoses from spigots
2. Open under-sink cabinet doors to circulate warm air
3. Allow water to trickle from faucets
If a pipe does burst, significant damage can occur very quickly. Moore Restoration is available to clean up, dry out and repair the damage. Call our 24-hour emergency line at 866-484-3322.
Meet the Moore Restoration Team
Moore Restoration is proud of our team, both individually and as a whole. We would like to take this opportunity to introduce a couple of our team members to you. It’s always nice to know who is working for you in a stressful time in your life, whether it’s through your business or your home.