How to Safely Care for Your Live Christmas Tree

Christmas time is here!  While it may look a little different this year, we all hope that it will be a joyful time.  With festive decorations around the house and a table full of holiday treats, we will celebrate the season.  Though the gatherings may be smaller than usual, we will still be able to spend time with those that we love.  But even in the midst of the good times, it’s important not to get careless.  Remember that having a live Christmas tree means you have a living room full of kindling that can catch fire fairly easily in the right conditions. Here are some tips for avoiding unwanted indoor Christmas tree fires interrupting your holiday celebrations.

Keep Your Tree Watered

Even though a Christmas tree has been cut away from its roots, it will continue to live on for a period of time as all cut flowers and plants will.  To lengthen the time that the tree will continue to maintain its beauty and health, adequate water is essential. By watering your Christmas tree regularly and generously, you can provide the tree the moisture it needs to draw in to keep its branches and needles soft and supple.  Trees that are well-watered will not be as susceptible to catching fire.

Keep Your Tree Cool

Another way to preserve your Christmas tree for a longer period of time is to keep your tree in a cool place.  Cooler air will lessen the amount of water that evaporates from the tree and allow it to stay more hydrated.  Trees should be kept at least 3 feet away from heaters, radiators, or heating vents.

Keep Flames Away From Your Tree

As a Christmas tree dries out it becomes paramount to keep any open flames away from the tree.  Fire from candles or fireplaces can easily jump to a nearby tree and start a fire within the woody material of the tree.  Besides just open flames, homeowners should also avoid any lights with faulty wiring. Electricity can also cause a spark that can quickly become a raging fire.

Don’t Keep Your Tree Too Long

Finally, remember that every Christmas tree is dying and drying out more and more each day. Enjoy the tree during the holidays but don’t keep it beyond its useful life. Get rid of your Christmas tree as soon as your celebrations are over, or sooner if the tree gets too dry.

By paying attention to your Christmas tree and keeping it well-watered, cool, and away from any flames, you can avoid disastrous Christmas tree fires.  If you do experience a holiday fire or other home damage, you can call Moore Restoration anytime. We have experienced fire restoration technicians who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year – even on the holidays!